Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Psalms+001
Brief Introduction of Psalms
The Book of Psalms is a collection of various smaller groupings of psalms that were used in Israel’s worship over the centuries. Some psalms were associated with certain feasts (Ps. 130 Yom Kippur; Ps. 135, Passover), others with the Sabbath (Ps. 92-100), and others for confession (Ps. 32, 51) or praises (Ps. 111-118; 146-150).
Outline of Psalms
- Book 1: Ps. 1—41 (The Book of Personal Experience)
- Book 2: Ps. 42—72 (The Book of Elohim)
- Book 3: Ps. 73—89 (The Dark Book)
- Book 4: Ps. 90—106 (The Book of the King)
- Book 5: Ps. 107—150 (The Book of Praise)
Psalms Book 1 – The Book of Personal Experience
Psalms 1 (ESV)
1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
4 The wicked are not so,
but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.
- This psalm challenges us to make a choice between the way of the righteous and the way of the wicked. What are the differences between these two in this psalm?
- How is the person who delights in God’s Word like the tree planted by streams of water? What would my life look like if it were “bearing fruit” in season?
- Today, go outside and find a healthy-looking tree. Spend a few moments to look at the tree, its trunk, the leaves, and the roots. Ask God to guide me in a way that I will always be in blossom and bearing fruits. Pray that my roots will go down deep and be rooted in the healthy soil of God’s Word.
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what He wants to tell you. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in your spiritual journal.
Psalm 1 – www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYhQATf8HDw