Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Numbers+003
Numbers Chapter 3 (ESV)
5 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 6 “Bring the tribe of Levi near, and set them before Aaron the priest, that they may minister to him. 7 They shall keep guard over him and over the whole congregation before the tent of meeting, as they minister at the tabernacle. 8 They shall guard all the furnishings of the tent of meeting, and keep guard over the people of Israel as they minister at the tabernacle. 9 And you shall give the Levites to Aaron and his sons; they are wholly given to him from among the people of Israel. 10 And you shall appoint Aaron and his sons, and they shall guard their priesthood. But if any outsider comes near, he shall be put to death.”
11 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 12 “Behold, I have taken the Levites from among the people of Israel instead of every firstborn who opens the womb among the people of Israel. The Levites shall be mine, 13 for all the firstborn are mine. On the day that I struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, I consecrated for my own all the firstborn in Israel, both of man and of beast. They shall be mine: I am the Lord.”
- Read this passage slowly paying attention to the identity and duties of the Levites.
- God set the Levites apart as his own and claimed them for his service. The Levites are to replace the first male offspring. For God said, “for all the firstborn are mine. When I struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, I set apart for myself every firstborn in Israel, whether man or animal. They are to be mine. I am the LORD.”(v13)
- Does God still require my “first” or my “best”? In what sense do I give God my first or best?
- How much faith in God would it take for me to let him have my children? Do I have that much faith?
Sit quietly before God and consider: What do I offer to God? What does God want of me? Meditate on what Jesus did for me and what I will do for him.
What can I give when I am no longer young? What about my attitude? Give to God all my youthful passion and strength regardless of my age.
Give Of Your Best To The Master
- Give of your best to the Master; Give of the strength of your youth;
Throw your soul’s fresh, glowing ardor Into the battle for truth.
Jesus has set the example, Dauntless was He, young and brave;
Give Him your loyal devotion, give Him the best that you have.
- Give of your best to the Master; Naught else is worthy His love;
He gave Himself for your ransom, Gave up His glory above;
Laid down His life without murmur, You from sin’s ruin to save;
Give Him your heart’s adoration, Give Him the best that you have.
Refrain: Give of your best to the Master; Give of the strength of your youth;
Clad in salvation’s full armor, Join in the battle for truth.