Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Matthew+14
MATTHEW 14 (ESV)
22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”
28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.”31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
- Events moved rapidly. John the Baptist was beheaded. Jesus miraculously fed 5,000 and walked on water. But official hostility grew.
- Why do you think Jesus invited Peter (and us) to step out onto the water? When did Peter begin to sink? Why then and not earlier?
- When are you most tempted to take your eyes off the Lord and to sink in doubt?
- In verse 33 the disciples worship Jesus and declare, “Truly you are the Son of God.” What do you see in this incident that leads you to worship Jesus?
- How can these things help you to trust Jesus the next time you are tempted to doubt?
Prayer & Journaling:
On your prayer journal, as you listen to God, write down a few thoughts, questions, words, names, drawings, or anything that has come to your mind during this time.