Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Luke+015
Luke 15 English Standard Version (ESV)
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
- Jesus portrayed a picture of God who is like the shepherd searching for his lost sheep so God searches for His lost ones, “for the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost” (19:10).
- What is your picture of God? How do you view the “sinners” around you? Is your attitude that of seeking the lost, the way Jesus did, or standing aloof and casting a disparaging glance, the way the religious leaders did?
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the picture of you searching for the lost sheep. Help me to relate your true picture to those I come in contact with: your love, not indifference, your grace, not judgement, your kindness, not criticism. I pray especially for ……………………. (someone who does not know the Lord).
Prayer for unbelievers
- Lord, I pray that you draw ___________ to yourself.
- I ask you, Lord, to prevent Satan from blinding ___________ to the truth.
- Holy Spirit, I ask you to convict ___________ of sin and the need for Christ’s redemption.
- I ask that you send someone who will share the gospel with ___________.
- Lord, I pray that ___________ will confess Jesus as Lord, grow in faith, and bear fruit for your glory. Amen.