Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Psalms+119
Psalm 119-9 (vv129-144)
English Standard Version (ESV)
Pe – The Wonder of God’s Word
129 Your testimonies are wonderful;
therefore my soul keeps them.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light;
it imparts understanding to the simple.
131 I open my mouth and pant,
because I long for your commandments.
132 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is your way with those who love your name.
133 Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
and let no iniquity get dominion over me.
134 Redeem me from man’s oppression,
that I may keep your precepts.
135 Make your face shine upon your servant,
and teach me your statutes.
136 My eyes shed streams of tears,
because people do not keep your law.
Tsadhe – The Righteous Character of God’s Word
137 Righteous are you, O Lord,
and right are your rules.
138 You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness
and in all faithfulness.
139 My zeal consumes me,
because my foes forget your words.
140 Your promise is well tried,
and your servant loves it.
141 I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.
142 Your righteousness is righteous forever,
and your law is true.
143 Trouble and anguish have found me out,
but your commandments are my delight.
144 Your testimonies are righteous forever;
give me understanding that I may live.
- The testimonies of the Lord are wonderful because they illuminate the understanding of the simple. The psalmist, realizing his total ignorance of God, felt a great hunger for his word as he eagerly devoured and learned from it.
- The psalmist claimed that God’s word is so wonderful that he wanted to obey it. The Bible can illuminate our lives, show us where we are spiritually and point us in the direction we need to go and how to live.
- If we read the Bible and keep it and let it transform our life, we will glorify God. We will be drawn to Him and He will draw near to us.
- When we look at the people around us ignoring God and doing things against God’s will, we feel a deep pain and agony. For they are against the word of God that we treasure and the Lord that loves us all, including these rebellious people.
- The world may look upon God’s people as “small and despised”, but when you stand on God’s promises, you are a giant.
- Pray for your friends and relatives, those that don’t care for God’s word, and reject God’s love. God has been extending his invitation to them, directing and loving them. Pray that they will return and repent of their rebellion and receive the Lord as their Saviour and Lord, too.
Prayer & Journaling:
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what he wants to tell me. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in the “Spiritual Journal” book.