Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Psalms+119
Psalm 119-2 (vv17-32)
English Standard Version (ESV)
Gimel – An Appreciation of God’s Word
17 Deal bountifully with your servant,
that I may live and keep your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
19 I am a sojourner on the earth;
hide not your commandments from me!
20 My soul is consumed with longing
for your rules at all times.
21 You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones,
who wander from your commandments.
22 Take away from me scorn and contempt,
for I have kept your testimonies.
23 Even though princes sit plotting against me,
your servant will meditate on your statutes.
24 Your testimonies are my delight;
they are my counselors.
Daleth – A Prayer for Greater Understanding
25 My soul clings to the dust;
give me life according to your word!
26 When I told of my ways, you answered me;
teach me your statutes!
27 Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28 My soul melts away for sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word!
29 Put false ways far from me
and graciously teach me your law!
30 I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your rules before me.
31 I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
let me not be put to shame!
32 I will run in the way of your commandments
when you enlarge my heart!
- Beginning with verse 17, Psalm 119 becomes a prayer. The psalmist asked God to enlighten him in order to understand God’s word for he found delight in and hunger for God’s Word.
- The psalmist asked that God would open his eyes to see “wondrous things” in God’s word. Paul prayed for Christians to have “the eyes of your hearts enlightened” (Eph 1:18).
- In v19, the psalmist described himself as a sojourner, a visitor passing through this world and asked God not to hide His commandments from him. In v20, he longed for God’s judgments – for His Word. Do you see yourself in this way, as someone passing through life who desperately needs the direction and counsel of God?
- Have you ever found yourself spiritually dry or disobedient to God’s Word? What did you do for spiritual revival? What role does God’s Word have in your spiritual revival?
Prayer & Journaling:
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what he wants to tell me. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in the “Spiritual Journal” book.
- Subtitle of each paragraph is from www.soniclight.com/constable/notes/htm/OT/Psalms/Psalms.htm