Weekly Bible Reading and Devotion Guideline
Monday to Friday for bible reading and devotion each week. Saturday and Sunday for make-up or Scripture meditation.
Daily Bible Reading and Devotion Guideline
- Quiet down a while, you might say a prayer, inviting God to speak to you, to reveal Himself to you and to help you grow in your knowledge and understanding of who He is and who He calls you to be.
- Press the arrow button or the “Read chapter in full” biblegateway link to listen to or read the whole bible chapter.
- Return to this page and slowly read the devotion Scripture.
- Follow the Reflection section to think over the passage asking the Holy Spirit to show you the relationship between the passage read and your present situation, as well as appropriate response.
- On your spiritual journal, as you listen to God, write down a few thoughts, questions, words, names, drawings, or anything that has come to your mind during this time.
- Follow the Prayer section to pray and meditate with the hymn.
- Finish with your own prayer and Bible reading record.
Read chapter in full: biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=James+003
James 3 (ESV)
Taming the Tongue
1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.
- If you were to record everything you said last week to have it played back during church, what would you want to erase from the recording?
- Meditate on 3:9-10. Have you been doing more praising or cursing? What are ways that you can praise and encourage others more?
- Is there a family member, a friend or colleague, to whom you may say some encouraging words? During this week, pray that God will help you to speak words of kindness and grace, and pray for one particular person with whom you find it difficult to speak with love.
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what He wants to tell you. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in your spiritual journal.
To Be Like Jesus, To Be Like Jesus – youtu.be/1-nj1XJ4TbM
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Aug 4, 2021 – James 003
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Aug 3, 2021 – James 002
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Aug 2, 2021 – James 001
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Jul 30, 2021 – Lamentations 005
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Jul 29, 2021 – Lamentations 004
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. ” (John 10:27)
In January 2009, PGC started the “260” Bible Reading and Devotion program. From September 2017, the program has a vision to help brothers and sisters do devotion and reading through the whole Bible in four and a half years starting with the Book of Genesis. The program was renamed to “Listening to God” in January 2020. Participants can use the computer or cell phone web browser, or the PGC Bible reading record to track the personal Bible reading progress. Participants who do not have an account in the PGC Member Area should create an account according to the instructions in the Registration information. The Bible reading progress tracking will be activated after logging in.