Weekly Bible Reading and Devotion Guideline
Monday to Friday for bible reading and devotion each week. Saturday and Sunday for make-up or Scripture meditation.
Daily Bible Reading and Devotion Guideline
- Quiet down a while, you might say a prayer, inviting God to speak to you, to reveal Himself to you and to help you grow in your knowledge and understanding of who He is and who He calls you to be.
- Press the arrow button or the “Read chapter in full” biblegateway link to listen to or read the whole bible chapter.
- Return to this page and slowly read the devotion Scripture.
- Follow the Reflection section to think over the passage asking the Holy Spirit to show you the relationship between the passage read and your present situation, as well as appropriate response.
- On your spiritual journal, as you listen to God, write down a few thoughts, questions, words, names, drawings, or anything that has come to your mind during this time.
- Follow the Prayer section to pray and meditate with the hymn.
- Finish with your own prayer and Bible reading record.
Read chapter in full: biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Luke+020
Luke 20 English Standard Version (ESV)
Paying Taxes to Caesar
19 The scribes and the chief priests sought to lay hands on him at that very hour, for they perceived that he had told this parable against them, but they feared the people. 20 So they watched him and sent spies, who pretended to be sincere, that they might catch him in something he said, so as to deliver him up to the authority and jurisdiction of the governor. 21 So they asked him, “Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God. 22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?” 23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them, 24 “Show me a denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?” They said, “Caesar’s.” 25 He said to them, “Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” 26 And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.
- Jesus explained that the demands of the state and the demands of God are not the same. He suggests that it is possible to meet both at the same time, but he never suggests that obeying one is exactly the same as obeying the other. In fact, to His followers then, very soon, obedience to God would mean disobedience to the Roman emperor. The early church has defied the Jewish authorities, “We must obey God rather than any human authority” (Acts 5:29).
- On the demand of the state of personal income tax, and the demand of tithing and offering for God’s church, how obedient are you?
- In giving yourself to God, are you in the 15%, 30%, 50% or 100% “tax bracket”?
Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me divine wisdom through scriptures, teaching me how to live a holy life in this filthy and depraved world. Our God the Father is consecrated and hates all filth and darkness. Dear Lord, because of Your redemptive grace, I have become a disciple of Yours, a partaker of the holiness and glory of God the Father. Yet my body still belongs to this fallen world, and the flesh and pride in my life often make me rebel against You. Grant me more courage and greater faith, a humility of heart and a spirit of obedience, to offer myself entirely as a living sacrifice, for it is to please You and rightfully so. Lord, help me to stand firm in the face of the challenges of the world. Amen!
I Surrender All (All To Jesus) – youtu.be/nXzjLUN6Fd0
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Dec 5, 2022 – Luke 020
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Dec 2, 2022 – Luke 019
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Dec 1, 2022 – Luke 018
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Nov 30, 2022 – Luke 017
- “Listening to God” Bible Reading & Devotion: Nov 29, 2022 – Luke 016
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27)
In January 2009, PGC started the “260 Appointments with God” Bible Reading and Devotion program. From September 2017, the program has a vision to help brothers and sisters do devotion and reading through the whole Bible in four and a half years starting with the Book of Genesis. The program was renamed to “Listening to God” in January 2020. Thank the Lord the first cycle finished with Revelation on March 25, 2022. From March 28, 2022 “Listening to God” began another cycle starting with Genesis. The order of the books is alternated between the Old and New Testaments. For details, please refer to Bible Reading and Devotion Book Sequence.
All participants can track their progress of Bible reading using the PGC Bible Reading Chart. PGC participants can also track their Bible reading progress online and query through the Bible Reading Record Query page. PGC participants who do not have an account should create an account according to the instructions in the Registration page. The Bible Reading Record Query will allow tracking of personal progress after logging in. Even without logging in, you can still use the Bible Reading Record Query for fast access of the devotion information.
May brothers and sisters listen to and obey God’s Word every day, and be the Lord’s disciples.