Read chapter in full: www.biblegateway.com/passage/?version=ESV&search=Psalms+068
Psalm 68 (ESV)
7 O God, when you went out before your people,
when you marched through the wilderness, Selah
8 the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain,
before God, the One of Sinai,
before God, the God of Israel.
9 Rain in abundance, O God, you shed abroad;
you restored your inheritance as it languished;
10 your flock found a dwelling in it;
in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.
11 The Lord gives the word;
the women who announce the news are a great host:
12 “The kings of the armies—they flee, they flee!”
The women at home divide the spoil—
13 though you men lie among the sheepfolds—
the wings of a dove covered with silver,
its pinions with shimmering gold.
14 When the Almighty scatters kings there,
let snow fall on Zalmon.
15 O mountain of God, mountain of Bashan;
O many-peaked mountain, mountain of Bashan!
16 Why do you look with hatred, O many-peaked mountain,
at the mount that God desired for his abode,
yes, where the Lord will dwell forever?
17 The chariots of God are twice ten thousand,
thousands upon thousands;
the Lord is among them; Sinai is now in the sanctuary.
18 You ascended on high,
leading a host of captives in your train
and receiving gifts among men,
even among the rebellious, that the Lord God may dwell there.
- Silence – Read/Listen – Meditate – Pray – Contemplate
- If time permits, read through the whole psalm for today. God is praised for His triumphal march through history, in scenes that recall the exodus, His appearance at Sinai, the thunderstorm that defeated Sisera in Deborah’s time, and the rains that made the Promised Land a place of blessing.
- What is the word or phrase that touches you today as you read and meditate on this passage? What is your emotion as you read this word or phrase? How is that related to your current situation? What does God tell you to do?
- Briefly review your personal “salvation history”. What was your Egypt? Your exodus? Desert? Promised Land? Kingdom expansion? What evil had to be rooted out of your life?
- Read this passage again with your own history in mind. Praise God as you read along.
Stay with God for a little longer. Continue to converse with God and listen to what He wants to tell you. Then write down any thought and/or prayer in your spiritual journal.
Sing Songs – www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihzbujmr1k